Monday, November 21, 2011

Skyrim Launcher Doesn't Work - Launcher Restarts

Today, Skyrim suddenly decided to stop working. I would launch it, press the Play button (on the launcher window) and then just have it reload after asking for Administrator privileges.

If you have this problem, to fix this you have 2 options.

1. Run Directly from Game File
  1. Navigate to your Steam installation (By default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)
  2. Then goto the SteamApps\common\skyrim directory
  3. From here just run TESV.exe directly.
  4. If it's missing, goto option 2.
2. The game file TESV.exe or any other file is missing.
  1. In Steam, right click Skyrim
  2. Select Properties
  3. Goto Local Files tab
  4. Click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache"
  5. It should download all broken/missing files.
  6. This didn't seem to fix it for me first time. So if it still doesn't work, try doing this same fix it just one more time.

    11 comments:

    KingCrimson said...

    thank you

    Bryton said...

    Had the same problem today and the second fix seemed to work, thanks :)

    Marc said...

    Thanks! Worked like a charm!

    Br3athr said...

    I have the same problem, TESV.exe missing thanks for the diagnosis, trying solution #2 now.

    Br3athr said...

    second solution worked for me first try :) thank you sir!

    Brian said...

    Thanks, the last update screwed up my wife's skyrim and that worked to fix it.

    mark said...

    thx buddy worked perfect

    mikaelarp said...

    thx a BUNCH

    acm said...

    Thx alot! it worked very good.

    Justin Smith said...

    I am on option 2. Unfortunately, when I right-click the Skyrim folder and choose "properties", there is no "Local Files" tab. I only have 3 tabs called "General", "Sharing", and "Customize". I believe that your solution may not be compatible with Windows XP. I'm attempting option 3, which is uninstall entire game, reinstall fresh download. Hopefully this will give me a tesv.exe.

    Justin Smith said...

    I am on option 2, but I do not have a "Local Files" tab in the properties for the skyrim folder. I only have "General", "Sharing", and "Customize". I wonder if your solution does not work for Windows XP. I am trying the unmentioned option 3, which is to completely uninstall the game and reinstall fresh. Hopefully this will replace tesv.exe.